15.8.13

July 26, 2013 - Mom’s One Line a Day

 NEW POST OF LUISANA LOPILATO'S BLOG "MINI BUBLE'S DIARY" 

Mom’s One Line a Day

One phrase a day. I got it a week ago and began writing something every day. I write how I feel, if I had a new sensation… basically the same thing I do here for you guys, but with less detail.
I had a false alarm yesterday. I had contractions for several hours. I called the labor assistant, who came home and started timing my contractions. I was afraid of the unknown. The episode made me more aware of that I’m going to feel on the big day.  After the contractions were over, I was able to sleep throughout the night. The doctor explained that at this stage, they are my body’s way of preparing for what’s to come. Now he things that the baby may come a little before that expected. Will that be the case?
Since the beginning of my pregnancy, speaking with the my obstetrician has always been very calming for me. The first appointment lasts longer because the doctor or obstetrician asks about health issues, past family and personal illnesses, and shots. It’s a VERY important meeting because it will guide us on how to approach certain complications that may happen during the pregnancy. We’ll also be asked about the date of our last period in order to establish an approximate date of birth. Keep in mind that this date is an approximation: the birth may happen two weeks before or a week after that date, and it’s normal if it does.
There are other things you should keep in mind: to be weighed and have your blood pressure taken, have a pap done if you didn’t get one within the last year (don’t worry, it’s very important for your health and it doesn’t affect the pregnancy at all), get a request for blood and urine tests (to find out if you need to take actions to correct problems like anemia, very usual in women). If you had blood leaks, it’s important to get a gynecologic exam called “tact”.
If you are planning on having a baby, the best thing is to schedule an appointment first, because there is a possibility of preventing some illnesses that affect the baby by taking folic acid a month before and during the first months of the pregnancy. You can also get shots that you don’t have (like hepatitis B), as well as detecting STDs, even HIV. Don’t be scared: it’s all for your own good and the baby’s health. The sooner you know, the more time the doctors have to help.
We also talk about life, work and dietary habits. All this helps clear doubts, and it’s very reassuring for the doctor to answer whatever questions may come up right there. For example: Is it normal to sleep more? Why are there some foods or aromas that I don’t like anymore? What can happen during the first months of the pregnancy?
How about you? How was your first doctor appointment? What were you worried about and what answers did you get? Feel free to share!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment